What can I expect from my dentist?
Your dentist will:
• if you are registered, provide any NHS dental treatment you need to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy
• explain your treatment options and let you know what treatment can be done under the NHS
• make sure you know how much your treatment may cost
• let you know about any changes to your treatment, and
• ask for your agreement to any treatment.
What does the practice expect from me?
• attend for treatment as often as your dentist recommends
• let us know as soon as possible if you can’t attend an appointment – we can charge a fee if you cancel with less than 24 hour notice or don’t turn up for an appointment. If you regularly miss appointments, we can end your registration
• let us know when any of your personal information changes, for example, if you move house
• pay for your treatment when asked – we can refuse to treat you if you haven’t paid for previous treatment and can end your registration
• treat dental staff with respect – if you are abusive, violent or threaten a member of staff or another patient at your dental practice, we can refuse to treat you and can end your registration immediately
• follow advice on how to look after your mouth, teeth and gums
• follow advice on how to look after your child’s mouth, teeth and gums (visit the Childsmile website at www.child-smile.org for more information about this)
• let us know about any changes to your general health or to any medicine you are taking, and
• ask if you don’t understand something.